FIREFIGHTERS were called to an abandoned fire at a sports ground in a Herefordshire town last night (July 4).

A crew from Ross-on-Wye Fire station were called to deal with the unattended bonfire at a cricket ground on Wilton Road at 7.20pm on Saturday.

Firefighters have repeatedly warned of the dangers of leaving fires and disposable barbecues unattended over recent months, with a raft of call-outs to locations across the county.

Speaking earlier this year, group commander Mick Cadman of the HWFRS Community Risk Department said: “While we know that the current weather makes getting out in the garden very tempting, lots of the false alarms we attend are caused by bonfires.

“Equally, bonfires can get out of control very easily. Please help us to help you, by reducing any activity that could lead to us being called out.”