A FAMILY has criticised the hospital care of a 57-year-old woman who was suffering with mental health difficulties prior to her death.

Jayne Stanley of Highwell Lane, Bromyard died on December 2 last year after being taken to Hereford County Hospital.

She was known to mental health services and had been discharged from Worcestershire Royal Hospital a week earlier following an overdose of diazapam.

Mrs Stanley's auntie, Sally James, said: "I felt that the Royal Worcestershire Hospital really let Jayne down at a most vulnerable time. If they had kept her in and looked after her then the whole thing might not have happened. I felt they were neglecting her needs."

The inquest at Herefordshire Coroner's Court heard that on Saturday, December 2 she was at her home with her ex-husband, Phil Stanley, who had been staying with her, when she went out to buy milk.

She returned and went to bed at 2pm, which was not unusual. When she did not get up to feed the dogs Mr Stanley went to check on her and she was unconscious.

He called an ambulance and she was taken to hospital where she died.

A toxicology report showed she had 60mg of alcohol in her system, which is below the drink drive limit of 80mg. She also had a concentration of a herbicide.

A cause of death was recorded as poisoning from a herbicide and ischemic heart disease and pulmonary oedema.

The inquest heard she had a long history of anxiety and depression and her mother, who she cared for, died last July.

For the last week of her life the Crisis team visited her every day but they said she was talking about the future and said she had no suicidal thoughts.

Her son, Nathan Stanley, said that his mother took an overdose on November 23 and was discharged just two days later. When he called Royal Worcestershire Hospital and was told his mum would be discharged he told them it was not the right decision.

He said that his mum would tell people whatever she wanted them to hear and he feared she would do it again. He said he felt the hospital did not listen to his concerns.

Coroner Mark Bricknell said he could not be sure, beyond all reasonable doubt, that she intended to take her own life. He said she knew her ex-husband was in the house and could find her. He said he felt it could have been a cry for help.

He recorded an open conclusion.