A STOLEN blue plaque marking where Edward Elgar lived in Hereford has been replaced.

The blue plaque at Plas Gwyn, where the famous composer lived between 1904 and 1911, was stolen last year.

A replacement was provided by Hereford City Council and is now displayed on the white house at the junction of Hampton Park Road and Vineyard Road.

It was unveiled by Timothy Day, one of the current residents, and he was joined by about 20 members of the Elgar Society.

The Society has recently been responsible for replacing, or newly providing, plaques to commemorate Elgar's residence or work in both Hereford and Worcestershire.