A LAST minute converted try denied Hereford a win, while Luctonians fell short at Chester.

Hereford looked set for a good away win at Wolverhampton and had enough chances to put the game to bed.

But their usually reliable defence conceded a couple of soft tries.

“What’s really encouraging is we are looking very sharp in attack," said Hereford head coach Sean Lynn.

"Leon [Parsons] is going really well and will be disappointed that he was not able to finish the one chance off.

"We have to learn that when we go away we must take our opportunities and be more clinical in the 22.

"We are having to work harder for our tries than our opponents and we must do something about that.

"The game with league leaders Bromsgrove at Wyeside this week will be interesting.”

Straight from the kick-off, Wolverhampton put pressure on the Hereford defence and within five minutes a missed tackle made a gap for a simple try that was converted.

But Hereford responded well and Bryn Goodall kicked over a penalty after a Wolverhampton player was sent to the sin bin for persistent fouling.

Another Goodall penalty reduced the deficit further before Hereford took the lead for the first time.

A break by Ben Osborne was carried on by Goodall for James Watters to finish.

Goodall added the extras.

A period of end-to-end play ended with a spell of Wolverhampton pressure resulted in a home try.

The conversion made it 14-13 in favour of Wolverhampton.

Hereford had chances to score at the start of the second half before both teams saw players yellow carded; Goodall for Hereford.

Parsons then found room to score a try for Hereford. with the conversion successful.

Hereford defended their lead well, but a series of offences ended with a yellow card for Jamie Humphreys.

Wolverhampton finally drove over for a try, with the conversion sealing the win.

Meanwhile, Luctonians lost 31-15 at Chester despite looking like they could grind out a win.

Chester opened the scoring after four minutes when a loose Luctonians kick was picked up by Freeman Payne,

He sent Matt Crow clear for the try, which Liam McGovern converted.

However, Chester's lead was short-lived as Lucs replied with a try of their own.

A fine break from Frank Kelly led to Piers Morell scoring; Tom Jones adding the extras.

Lucs were dominating both possession and territory, yet the home defence stood firm.

Chester were penalised four times for holding on close to Lucs' line.

But they did manage to score a try through Andy Bastin after nine phases of play; McGovern again converting.

Chester then pressed home their advantage early in the second half.

Another loose kick allowed Crow to score in the corner, with McGovern's conversion putting them 21-7 ahead.

Lucs never gave up though and reduced the deficit through a Jones penalty before Kelly added a try.

But that was as good as it got for Lucs, who saw Lawrence Breese sent to the sin bin.

McGovern kicked over a penalty before Calum Bennett converted his own try.

Meanwhile, there were defeats for both Ledbury and Bromyard in Midlands 3 West (South).

Ledbury went down 31-17 to Shipston-on-Stour, while Bromyard lost 28-15 at Alcester.