Ledbury Town 0 Hereford United 2

HEREFORD United clinched the HFA Senior Cup after a comfortable win in front of around 800 fans at New Street.

Goals in both half from trialist Jamie Sheldon and substitute Mathieu Manset gave United manager Simon Davey a victory in his first game in charge.

Ledbury’s substitute goalkeeper Tom Whittaker made a host of excellent saves in the last 15 minutes as the better fitness of United’s players told in humid conditions.

Whittaker pulled off fine saves from O’Neil Thompson, Stuart Fleetwood and the lively Ryan Green.

Striker Sean Canham shot wide when clean through and Sam Gwynne had an effort scrambled off the line.

United also squandered a couple of other excellent chances and Davey will want his strikers to be more ruthless in front of goal.

Gwynne, who is on trial with United, lifted the HFA Senior Cup and looked the best player on the pitch in the opening 45 minutes.

Jamaican international Thompson showed good vision and went close with a couple of long-range drives after being introduced five minutes into the second half.

Ledbury defended solidly for long periods without seriously threatening United’s goal but gave a good account of themselves.

United fielded only two contracted players – goalkeeper Dan Connor and defender Tyler Weir - in a quiet first half.

Former Birmingham City youngster Sheldon put United ahead in the 23rd minute.

Sheldon fired home a low, left-foot drive from the edge of the box less than a minute after crashing a shot against the bar.

Manset went close with a shot which bounced wickedly in front of Whittaker and struck the keeper’s shoulder.

The Frenchman then rattled the underside of the bar after Fleetwood had surged down the right and delivered a pin-point cross.

Manset sealed United’s win in the 84th minute after finding space inside the box and then beating Whittaker with an angled left-foot strike.

United boss Davey said: “We have come through unscathed and the trialists worked very hard and put themselves in the shop window. The players were professional and we were very pleased with the support.”

Ledbury Town: Lewis Skyers, Beaton, Minnett, Pritchard, Reid, Kavanagh, Rich, Joel Skyers, Parker, Colling, Varnham. Subs used: Whittaker, Roberts, Boyle, Merrick, Thompson, Price.

Hereford United: Connor (Bartlett, 46 min), Weir, Edwards (Green, 50 min), Townsend, Djebi Zadi, Gwynne, McLaggan, (Thompson, 50 min) Sheldon (Fleetwood, 50 min), Weight (Canham, 50 min), Moore (Manset, 50 min), Stretton.

Referee: Kevin Morris (Herefordshire FA).

Goals: Sheldon, 23 min, 0-1; Manset 84 min, 0-2.