A HEREFORDSHIRE rally driver scored maximum points in the Fuchs British Historic Rally Championship with a fine second placed finish.

Roger Chilman together with regular co-driver Patrick Walsh followed up his victory in the recent Riponian Stages with another fine drive at last weekend’s Get Jerky Rally North Wales.

The event also a round of the Pirelli Welsh National Rally Championship and Mini Challenge 

Some 120 cars assembled in Welshpool for two loops of four stages in the forests of Dyfi Gartheniog and Dyfnant which were shrouded in mist after early morning rain.

Chilman driving a Securcom, Dansfords, Connop & Son Pirelli shod, Wales Motorsport run Escort RS1800 never missed a beat all day.

On the opening seven-mile Dyfnant test Chilman stopped the clocks second fastest to the Fiat 131 of Nick Elliott. 

From then on a battle raged between the Escorts of Chilman, Joe Price, Robert Gough and the 131 of Elliott over the opening loop which left Chilman holding a very slender three-second lead has the cars arrived in Dolgellau for the midday service.

Chilman increased his lead by a second on stage six, but on the penultimate test in Dyfi Main Price put in a superb charge to take seven seconds from Chilman to lead going into the final nine-mile test in Dyfnant.

The warring duo stopped the clocks dead level giving Price victory but Chilman scored maximum championship points for the second event running.

"The pace and quality of entry on the historic rounds this year has been phenomenal,” side Chilman.

“There was nothing between us, one slight error and you can lose two or three places it's been a great fight with Joe so congratulations to him, but again thanks to Patrick, Meirion Evans Wales Motorsport team and all my sponsors.

“To everyone connected with Rally North Wales those stages were just awesome so fast and flowing."

In the Inter-club event which counted for Pirelli Welsh championships points Geoff Phelps with Colin Jenkins calling the notes in the Hartpury Farms Escort RS1800 had a fairly trouble free run, despite a few hairy moments including a huge moment on the last test, but recovered to finish 25th overall and fourth in class. 

In the Mini Challenge event which covered just the first loop Keith Bounds and Kevin Watkins finished fourth in the category out of eight cars entered.

Despite one or two long delays the Wolverhampton and South Staffs Car Club drivers were reflecting on a good event which included some of the classic Welsh forests with thousands of spectators out watching the battle unfold.

The market town of Welshpool had embraced the rally with its ceremonial start and finish.