WESTFIELDS climbed up into third in the Hellenic Premier clinching back-to-back league wins with a 2-0 victory over visiting Chipping Sodbury Town on Saturday.

The visitors are fighting a relegation battle but found Westfields in hard-working form and had it not been for the woodwork the hosts would have won more convincingly as Adam Newbury twice rattled the Chipping Sodbury post and bar with free kicks.

Phil Glover’s side opened the scoring midway through the first half when Harry Pitman hit a sweet half volley low into the visitors’ net.

Newbury then hit a fierce free-kick against the post and several other chances went begging before Ian Harvard in the Westfields goal produced a full-length save to keep the hosts 1-0 ahead at the break.

After half-time Westfields produced some good approach work without adding to the score-line as Newbury again rattled the woodwork from a free-kick.

However, dangerman Dan Stoneman made the points safe when he cut in from the left wing and tucked away a low shot into the far corner of the net to give Westfields a 2-0 lead in the 87th minute.

This Saturday, Westfields are home again when they entertain Bradford Town at allpay.park at 3pm.

Hereford Pegaus slipped down to eighth in the Hellenic Premier after suffering a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Royal Wootton Bassett Town.

Kai Robinson opened the scoring for the hosts after just nine minutes before Scott Chillcott and Louis Andre Spalding completed the scoring before half-time.

Hereford Lads Club also conceded three goals on the road despite going ahead at Roman Glass St George before eventually falling to a 3-1 defeat.

Adam Hockey gave the Hereford visitors an 18th minute lead which they held until the second half.

Shacquille Smith scored a brace to put the hosts ahead and then Laurent Davis Wilson netted a third to complete the win.

Westfields were back in action on Tuesday night when they travelled to Lydney Town in the Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup quarter-final.

Kyle Cassell went close for the visitors midway through the first half but saw his effort matched by a fine save.

Cassell went close again before the break with a curling strike which was also met by the goalkeeper.

Westfields went even closer after the break with Daniel Stoneman seeing his free-kick bend around the wall before hitting the woodwork.

However, Lydney turned the tie with two quick goals which shocked their visitors and proved too much to come back from.

The introduction of Pitman had an immediate impact with the youngster firing home a free-kick six minutes from time.

Despite their best efforts to find a way back into the tie Westfields were beaten 2-1.