HEREFORD RFC head coach Alun Richards was left disappointed by having to make six changes due to injuries and unavailability before watching his side beaten 41-0 at Whitchurch.

The home side punished the makeshift Wyesiders and registered four tries to earn a try bonus before half-time.

Although Hereford put in a brave second half defensive performance Whitchurch added three more tries in the closing 10 minutes to complete a convincing victory.

“Whitchurch is a difficult place to play at the very best of times, especially when they are starting to hit form,” said Richards. “Unfortunately, due to injuries and unavailability, we had a lot of changes and players playing out of position which ultimately took its toll.”

“Despite this, I thought we started well and competed for the first 20 minutes, something we talked about before the game. Starting well, limiting mistakes, playing direct and managing field position. In the second quarter however, we started to lose the collisions, missed far too many first up tackles and made too many errors which put us under immense pressure.

“Not to get anything from today’s game is really disappointing, but we now need to regroup and get in two good training sessions before welcoming Wolverhampton to Wyeside next week. They will provide another big test for us. Hopefully we shall have a full squad to select from and I’m sure we shall see a big reaction.”

Hereford started well, having a good share of possession and field position. However, as the game went on the Wyesiders started to fall off the odd tackle and concede too many penalties.

After 15 minutes Whitchurch were awarded a penalty, they kicked for touch and a series of pick and go eventually drove over for the opening try.

The second try was the result of a Whitchurch turnover with the ball passing through hands before being run in at the corner, the conversion attempt was good.

There was two further tries before the interval, one improved, taking Whitchurch to a 24-0 half-time lead.

Hereford came out in the second half with renewed energy. The visitors defended well, but were unable to set up scoring chances. With 10 minutes of normal time to go the pressure eventually told and Whitchurch added three further tries to take the final score to 41-0.

The good news was provided by the 1870s, whose 11-10 win over Five Ways Old Edwardians took them to the top of their league table.

The Hereford try was scored by Rhys Roberts while Matt Milsom added two penalty kicks.