PORTSMOUTH came back from a Miles Storey opener to overcome Hereford 3-1 with two of their goals coming inside the second half.

Storey’s 26th minute opener had shocked the League One visitors but Reeco Hackett equalised before the break.

However, second half goals from Colby Bishop and Joe Pigott secured Portsmouth’s passage into the next round.

League One Portsmouth sit three divisions above their hosts and had the game’s opening chance when a corner was headed clear by Orrin Pendley only for the following ball back into box headed at goalkeeper Dale Eve by Connor Ogilvie.

The visitors forced Eve back into action on the 14th minute when Reeco Hackett-Fairchild tried his luck from outside the box forcing Hereford’s goalkeeper into a flying save.

The Bulls worked their way back into the game and Ryan McLean spotted a gap in the visitor’s defence forcing the visitor’s goalkeeper to save down low.

Hereford took a 25th minute lead when Miles Storey tackled his marker and then raced away before nutmegging the goalkeeper to put the hosts ahead.

However, the Bulls were ahead just seven minutes when a cross to the far post was headed down by Ronan Curtis to Hackett-Fairchild unmarked inside the box to level the tie.

Seconds before the half-time break Colby Bishop pulled away to meet a late corner, but his effort bounced harmlessly wide.

Portsmouth were looking to avoid an FA Cup upset and probed for a second goal after the break, but a combination of Jack Evans and Harry Pinchard cleared from inside the Bulls’ box.

The League One visitors were dominating possession but Hereford remained in their shape defending well early in the second half.

On the hour mark defender Orrin Pendley was forced to make a vital block to deny almost a certain goal after Zak Swanson pulled the ball back for Ronan Curtis.

Four minutes later the visitors took the lead when a Clark Robertson corner was met at the front post by Colby Bishop who glanced the ball across goal and home.

Substitute Joe Pigott had the chance to seal the victory beating his marker before forcing Eve into a fine save.

However, moments later Pigott did find the net as Robertson’s corner was headed down with the striker turning and firing home.

With moments left on the clock Eve made a fine save to deny Josh Koroma’s free-kick effort with a save down low.

Hereford: Eve, Hodgkiss (Derricott 90+2), Evans, Thompson-Sommers (Thompson 65), McLean (Caton 85), Amadi-Holloway, Pinchard (Haines 65), Storey, Hanson, Pendley, Barnett.

Unused subs: Wade, Klukowski, Campbell, Osment, Summers