WESTFIELDS fell to a first league defeat of the season as two first half goals helped Malvern Town to a 3-1 victory.

Malvern who had only suffered one defeat themselves coming into the game showed warning signs from the opening minute when Jack Horrell rattled the crossbar with a direct free-kick.

The visitors were ahead after four minutes when a neat passing move resulted in Joe Bates firing home the opening goal.

Malvern sensed blood and could have had a second goal on 10 minutes but Adam Saunston saw his header cleared off the line.

In a good spell of pressure by the visitors Lewis Platt saw a cross flash across the box and then Horrell saw an effort saved.

Matt Turner eventually doubled the visitor’s lead on 24 minutes curling the ball home.

Fields looked to muster a response and goalkeeper Kieron Blackburn was called into action to deny Harry Pitman.

At the opposite end Ian Havard was forced to save Lewis Spurrier’s effort as the half ended 2-0.

Less then two minutes into the second half Westfields struck with Lewis Binns crossing for Matt McDonald who steered his header into the net.

Fields were pushing for an equaliser but were hit on the break and when a ball was cut inside the box 8 looked certain to score only for a fine Ian Havard save to keep his side in the game.

Malvern did find the net for a third time after 65 minutes when a free-kick was pulled back from the byline and slotted home by Saunstone.

With 15  minutes left on the clock Daniel Stoneman came within an inch of putting his side back into the game but saw his free-kick rattle the crossbar before moments later Joe Davies saw his header saved.

Stoneman had another chance moments later beating his marker for pace and cutting inside the box only for his effort to fly into the side-netting.

With 10 minutes remaining Stoneman should have given his side a lifeline ghosting inside the box before beating the goalkeeper only to put his effort wide.

Across the city Hereford Pegasus played out a 1-1 draw with Hereford Lads Club as Paul Jones’ second half strike cancelled out Brandon Jennings’ opener.