A CONNOR Sullivan penalty with moments left on the clock gave Hereford RFC a first league victory of the season with a 25-22 return against Whitchurch.

After an even match in which neither side led by more than 10 points the sides were level at 22-22 until Sullivan grabbed the points at the death.

“What a great afternoon at Wyeside,” said Hereford head coach Scott Sturdy.

“It was grand to welcome Whitchurch for our first home game of the season, what a lovely flowing open game of rugby.

“It was good to see an improved performance from the lads after a difficult trip to Walsall last week. We could definitely see some attacking shape, some width and flare on show and we scored some excellent tries.”

Hereford started on the front foot and a penalty was kicked to touch and from the catch and drive Lewis Jordon touched down for the first try.

A few minutes later a Hereford kick ahead was intercepted. Whitchurch made ground and put in an accurate cross kick which was gathered and touched down for a try in the corner.

Ollie Hutcheson restored Hereford’s lead when a break out of defence by Lewis Jordan was carried on by Tom Williams.

Whitchurch conceded a penalty and from the resulting lineout a strong cross field run by Levi Hughes was halted just short of the goal-line. Hutcheson followed up, dived over for a try to restore the lead.

A determined Jack Goodwin move resulted in Hereford’s third try making ground and brushing off a number of tackles. Jamie Humphreys ran off him and crossed for a try to increase the lead.

A Hereford passing error let a Whitchurch defender pick up a loose ball. He broke through a number of tackles before handing on to a team-mate who registered their second try.

Before the interval Whitchurch took a quick tap penalty and caught the Wyesiders napping to dive over for a third try. None of the first half tries were converted and the half time score was 15-15.

Whitchurch took an early lead in the second period when Hereford were penalised for holding on. From a tap penalty they worked their way infield with a series of pick and go and managed to push over under the posts.

On this occasion the conversion attempt was successful and gave the visitors a lead of 22-15.

An immediate response from Hereford saw Leon Parsons receive the ball from a slick passing movement to outflank the defence and score in the corner for the bonus point try.

Sullivan made the conversion to make the score level at 22-22. For a period of 20 minutes the Hereford forwards put the visiting defence under extreme pressure with some driving play, all of which was countered by some sound defence, some legal and some not.

However, the Wyesiders were rewarded for their efforts with a penalty at the death and Sullivan kicked the winning points.

The 1870s continue to play some excellent football and were unlucky to be narrowly beaten at Five Ways Old Edwardians in a tight game by 25-17. The Hereford scorers were tries from Matt Reynolds, Jake Cheshire & Jamie Hodges and a conversion from Joe Vaughan.

Next week Hereford travel to Wolverhampton whilst the 1870s take on Kersley at Wyeside.