HEREFORD Pegasus joint manager Mark Hibbard praised his side for keeping their shape as they secured a 1-0 victory over local rivals Malvern Town.

Cawley Cox’s seventh minute strike separated the sides as Pegasus frustrated their Hellenic Premier promotion hopefuls and deserved their first league win of the season.

“It was a very positive win today,” said Hibbard.

“They are favourites to win the league. I thought we dug in really well today, it wasn’t pretty for us but getting the three points is massive.

“We talk about team spirit and digging in, you are going to be under the cosh against a team like Malvern but as long as you keep your shape and get bodies in front of the shots then you’ve always got a chance.

“We have got expansive players who want to go forward all the time but today we’ve had to tell them to sit in, keep the shape and nullify their threat really.”

After suffering a 6-0 FA Cup defeat the previous week Pegasus got off to the dream start when Carlos Moreira broke down the right before crossing for Cawley Cox to sweep home the game’s opening goal.

Pegasus could have doubled their lead on 15 minutes when Moreira’s free-kick almost sneaked into the net before being saved by goalkeeper Kieron Blackburn allowing Harry Clark to clear off the goal-line.

It took Malvern until the 23rd minute to muster a response when Matt Turner broke the off-side trap but goalkeeper Matt Gwynn was out quickly and blocked the effort with his leg.

Pegasus looked just as likely to double their lead and Cox ghosted in from the byline but his effort is saved from a tight angle was saved.

Straight up the other end Malvern broke and the ball is pulled back to Reynolds forcing Gwynne to save down low.

As the game opened up Ben Miller’s long ball was trapped by Cox who turned and his low effort forced Blackburn into another smart stop.

Pegasus tested their visitors again as Jordan Willison ran onto a through ball and beat the goalkeeper but saw his effort fly wide under pressure by covering defenders.

Moreira was next to break the Malvern line out wide before half-time forcing Blackburn into a save from his hand when through one-on-one.

After the break Malvern probed for an equaliser keeping Gwynne busy in the Pegasus goal with the goalkeeper on hand to deny half-time substitute Lewis Spurrier.

Luke Payne also tested Gwynne with a curling shot which the Pegasus goalkeeper was equal too.

In injury time Peggy skipper Lewis Fletcher led by example making three quick blocks as the hosts put their bodies on the line.

At the death Spurrier broke through on goal but steered his effort wide of the goal as Malvern were beaten.