A LUKE HAINES own goal resulted in Hereford suffering a first league defeat of the season at Scarborough Athletic.

Little separated the Bulls and newly promoted Scarborough who excel on their 3G surface onto Haines flicked an Ashley Jackson long throw into his own net.

Coming into the game full of confidence after an opening day 3-3 draw with Spennymoor Town the Bulls had the better of the first half chances.

With just two minutes played a quick break resulted in Jared Hodgkiss breaking through causing a save from the legs of goalkeeper Joe Cracknell.

As Josh Gowling’s side continued to test the home defence Harry Pinchard saw his low effort also denied by Cracknell.

The long throw-in of Ashley Jackson was an outlet of attack for the hosts which Hereford had trouble with.

On 17 minutes Jackson’s throw was brought down by skipper Michael Coulson to Ryan Watson who forced goalkeeper Brad Wade to make a save in the Hereford goal.

At the other end Pinchard jinked into space and thought his 29th minute effort would rattle the net only to be matched by Cracknell once again.

Pichard did have the goalkeeper beaten five minutes before the break but saw his effort sail over the crossbar.

Seconds after the second half restart Hereford went close again with Tyrone Barnett creating a chance for Miles Storey who snatched his shot wide.

Hereford would have felt harshly done by had Scarborough scored from a 57th minute direct free-kick.

An effort by the hosts was deflected off a defender into the hands of goalkeeper Brad Wade, but the referee ruled it as a back pass.

Hereford filled the goal-line with their whole team blocking Ryan Watson’s free-kick.

Scarborough were sending Hereford warning signs and on 62 minutes Michael Coulson intercepted a pass running through on goal but firing wide.

The hosts were ahead five minutes later when Jackson launched a long throw into the Bulls box which Haines headed on into the net.

Hereford goalkeeper Wade kept his side in the game on 72 minutes denying Lewis Maloney.

Despite the Bulls throwing bodies forward late on they failed to find an equaliser.

Hereford: Wade, Hodgkiss, Evans, Haines, Lilly, Thompson-Sommers (Latty-Fairweather 85), McLean (Osideko 62), Lloyd, Pinchard (Klukowski 74), Storey, Barnett

Subs: Hanson, Pendley