HEREFORD RFC registered their first away win of the season learning from their mistakes to beat rivals Worcester 21-5.

Five away tries for the Wyesiders saw off a resurgent second half response from their hosts pleasing head coach Scott Sturdy.

“It’s positive that we’ve addressed some of the issues we faced away from home early on and managed to put them into practice at the weekend,” said Sturdy.

“We were extremely good for the first 30 minutes, our attack was really dangerous, breaking the line and keeping the ball alive with some good off-loads and scoring some very good tries.

“We allowed Worcester back into the game with a score before the interval and didn’t really come out after half-time.

“We couldn’t retain possession and allowed Worcester to exert pressure to get back to 21–17.

“A pleasing psychological aspect was that we worked out what we needed to do to change the energy of the game. We got ourselves back on the ball and scored a couple more tries towards the end of the game.”

The Wyesiders got out of the blocks quickly with an early try through Perry Pudge on 10 minutes before Tom Ewins extended their advantage three minutes later, both converted by Callum Brayshaw.

With forwards Ben Greenhouse and Ollie Hutcheson prominent the Wyesiders remained in control and a slick passing movement ended with Dan Stacey forced into touch.

The third Hereford score came when Brayshaw exploited a Worcester mistake, he hacked a loose ball down field and followed up to touch down for a try which he converted himself.

Before the interval some sustained Worcester pressure on the Hereford line pulled in defenders and an accurate cross kick was touched down in the corner to make it 21-5.

Worcester started the second half with renewed energy and scored twice to reduce the deficit to 17-21.

Hereford with fresh legs from the bench regained the initiative and as the game moved into the final quarter, the Wyesiders set up a forward drive through the middle which ended in a try for James Marshall, converted by Brayshaw.

Despite a yellow card for Ewan Duncan, Hereford continued to press for more scores and in the final minute were rewarded with an unconverted try through Dan Stacey.