HEREFORD Pegasus gained ground in the Hellenic Division One promotion race after the played out a 3-1 victory over a stubborn Abingdon United side.

Saul Thomas put the hosts ahead after just seven minutes and when Marshal Hopkins doubled their lead Pegasus looked to be in control.

However, Mite Mitev pulled a second half goal back only for Jordan Williamson to secure the points with a third goal.

Pegasus had to play the final minutes with 10 men after Carlos Moreira was shown a straight red card after kicking out at his opponent.

LIVE BLOG: Hereford Pegasus v Abingdon United minute by minute updates

Hereford Pegasus joint manager Mark Hibbard was pleased with the way his side managed the game while leaders Worcester Raiders lost at home to Cirencester Town Development.

"It was a game of two halves to be honest," said Hibbard.

"We played well for 45 minutes and not so well in the second half.

"We managed the game and will take a 3-1 win in the end.

"We talked about movement before the game and have been trying to work on that.

"With the front three we had today we had a lot more mobility and pace in the team.

"In the first half especially we got in behind them quite a lot."

With their first opportunity Pegasus took a sixth minute lead when Marshall Hopkins picked out the run of Saul Thomas who slotted past the goalkeeper.

The visitors should have been level just a minute later with Nat Robinson found in space but firing his effort wide.

Pegasus skipper Jamie Price came within an inch of doubling his side's lead rattling the crossbar from his free-kick before Thomas put the rebound into the side-netting.

Out of nowhere Hopkins did double Pegasus' advantage on 29 minutes sneaking the ball off Abingdon goalkeeper Cameron Midwinter before slotting into an empty net.

Abingdon started the second half brighter and Connor Ferguson saw his strike from outside the box sail just wide.

However, it was Peggy who could have sealed the points with Hopkins and Jordan Williamson both sending efforts over.

Abingdon pulled themselves back into the tie on 65 minute with Mitev finding the top corner with just strike from outside the box.

Moments later Ferguson had a chance in a better position but fired wide.

With 18 minutes left Williamson restored Peggy's two-goal advantage running at the defence before firing low into the bottom corner.

Robinson should have scored a second Abingdon goal in controversial circumstances after a quickly taken free-kick released the striker who beat the goalkeeper and then put his effort wide.

With minutes remaining Moreira was shown a straight red card after kicking out at an opponent.