HEREFORD Lads Club manager Danny Moon was proud of his side despite losing 2-0 to Westfields in their local derby.

A crowd of 587 were treated to an entertaining game before two goals in the last 21 minutes sealed the tie.

LIVE BLOG: Westfields v Hereford Lads Club live updates

Hereford Lads Club have risen from the Herefordshire Premier into step five of non-league football.

"It was a big game today for them which is very weird from where we've come from," said Moon.

"When you come down to Lads Club 10 years ago and we were on Widemarsh Common.

"I think there were over 500 here today, now we have come a long old way.

"It's disappointing to lose but as long as we're in this league next year.

"In the second half we held our own against a team who are going to be up there and have spent a lot of money to be up there."

Moon said that a Covid-19 outbreak within the Lads Club squad meant his options were limited.

Despite losing the game the manager was proud of his side's effort.

"The boys were brilliant, added Moon.

"We've had to deal with a lot in the last four or five days with the Covid situation at the club.

"The game shouldn't have really been on. But we've got lads on there that have given me everything.

"In the first half Westfields have had four or five good opportunities hitting the bar and post.

"But we've arguably had two or three good chances at this end and whether they were off-side I don't know.

"We've managed to get in at 0-0 which gave ourself a base and I thought we were miles the better side in the second half.

"I can't knock our boys, I thought we were sensational today.

"It was never going to be a pretty game but we tried to play in the right areas.

"I think we can take a lot out of that."

Lads Club were level in the game until Olly Price was given a second yellow card and sent off.

His first booking was for a first half foul injuring Sean Powell before seeing red for tugging at Harrison Summers.

"The big decision by the referee, the first one was definitely a yellow card but it doesn't look like a red card to me," added Moon.

"The referee couldn't wait to get his card out for the second yellow.

"Even then for the first five or 10 minutes after that card we were on top."