HEREFORD manager Josh Gowling was angry that his side let Gloucester City 'off the hook' during a 1-0 defeat at Edgar Street.

After going behind through a first half Matt McClure header the Bulls searched for a route back into the tie after the break.

James McQuilkin came closest rattling the post with an effort on the turn.

Kelsey Mooney also had two opportunities to score but failed to connect with the chances.

"I'm not disappointed I'm angry to be honest," said Gowling.

"We gave them a little bit too much respect in the first half and they (Gloucester) were slightly better.

"The disappointing thing for me in the first half was the quality in possession wasn't good enough.

"In the second half for me we were by far the better team.

"We let them off the hook, it's as simple as that. We had opportunities in the second half to get back and in front but we didn't take them.

"Our final ball, our final decision making in that area was what let them off the hook.

"We had three or four very good opportunities to score goals.

"I don't care that they're top of the league, I'm not interested.

"We should win that game today and that's what it's about. Our squad is good enough to beat anyone at this level.

"I'm annoyed we've lost that game because we should have won it.

"We've had a frank conversation in the dressing room. They're celebrating (Gloucester) like they've won the World Cup so it says a lot about us.

"It shows where we want to be and the levels we want to be at.

"I expect a big performance on Saturday (at home against Chorley).

"We've played two games at home now and been the better side in both and come away with no points which is frustrating."

With their first chance of the game Gloucester were ahead on 13 minutes when George Carline's long throw was flicked on at the front post by Liam Daly and then headed home by McClure.

Five minutes later Hereford had a chance to level but Lenell John-Lewis headed wide under pressure.

Gloucester splashed out on striker Akwasi Asante during the summer and he had a golden chance from the penalty spot to double his side's lead.

Yan Klukowski brought down McClure inside the box for a clear penalty but White picked Asante's casual effort out of the bottom corner before Jamie Grimes cleared the danger.

After the break Gavin Gunning sent his free-kick inches wide for Gloucester with White in the Hereford goal motionless.

On the 73rd minute Hereford saw an effort hit the post before seeing a man sent off.

The Bulls hit on the counter-attack and Dan Jones found McQuilkin who swivelled and saw his effort hit the post.

Tom Owen-Evans went in for a late challenge for the rebound and received a red card for a second booking.

Gloucester also went down to 10 men four minutes later when Asante received a second yellow for a foul on Jared Hodgkiss.

Alex Whittle and substitute Kheallem Nichols went close late on for Gloucester who ran out victors.

Speaking about the red card incidents, Gowling added: "Tom (Owen-Evans) has got to go for that I've got no issue with that,

"It's hit the post, he's gone sliding in and it is what it is. I questioned the referee about their striker who was on a yellow just before that and did exactly the same tackle.

"And then what happened to Jared (Hodgkiss) (in the second red card incident) we could have lost him for a while."