COLWALL have finally ended their wait to play at the home of cricket in the Village Knockout Cup.

A Lord's final awaits the Herefordshire village side on September 19, to play Redbourne CC in the final.

Spectators are currently not permitted to attend and the game will be live streamed.

They set up the final tie by brushing aside Yorkshire outfit Carlton Towers, winning by net run rate due to failing light.

After winning the toss skipper James Wagstaff elected to bat on a flat – looking deck that appeared to be well-suited to the bat.

Openers Ben Cooke and Olly Cox got their side off to a good start reaching 35-0 off seven overs. Carlton Towers began to regain some control over the Colwall run rate, putting all possible fielders on the fence and allowing the Colwall batters ones and twos.

Cooke and Cox continued to capitalise on the wayward fielding before the former lost his wicket for 37.

Cox and new batsmen Richard Howitt continued in the same vein reaching 80-1 at the half-way interval. Pushing on they took 21 runs from the next three overs with Howitt beginning to go through the gears.

Cox continued to accumulate singles regularly and fell just short of his half century when he was caught by the Towers captain for 47.

Howitt began to take a serious liking to the Towers attack departing for a superb 57 from 56 balls. James Abel (44 from 30 balls) continued the onslaught leaving Colwall on a well – deserved 238-6 from their allotted overs. The Towers reply opened fluently : the score 34 – 0 from seven overs with the much - acclaimed Tom Collins playing an array of slip and cover drives to keep the scoreboard ticking.

The sunshine had been giving way to grey clouds steadily through the afternoon and when the ninth over arrived, the heavens opened with the score on 38-0.

Thirty minutes passed with no relief and the game was in serious danger of being decided by the toss of a coin.

Fortunately, the rain slowly abated and after an hour delay, the umpires decided the ground was fit and play resumed.

Howitt was introduced to the attack and as he did in the previous round, he struck in the first over of his spell, trapping Collins LBW for 27.

Unfortunately for Carlton Towers, the standard of fielding from the Colwall unit was far superior to what Towers produced with an exemplary display of ground fielding on a now wet and slippy outfield.

With the game managing to reach 20 overs, the game could now be decided on the average run rate of the two sides.

Carlton Towers would need to be on 119 runs but were well adrift on 92.

Opener Henry Bayston continued to give Carlton Towers some hope with some powerful fours and sixes hitting through the offside boundary. Wagstaff called Ben Febery (2-11) into the attack and provided the golden moment, tempting Bayston momentarily out of the crease and gloveman Wheeler took an outstanding stumping chance to dismiss Bayston (73).

The light had held firm for the previous hour but with the ball becoming increasingly more difficult to see, an abandonment looked on the cards.

In the 32nd over and still 38 runs behind the run rate, Carlton Towers were informed by the umpires the game would be abandoned on safety grounds and Colwall progressed through to the final to jubilant scenes in front of their 200 strong travelling ground.