HEREFORD wrapped up the Southern League Division One South & West title with six games remaining after demolishing eventually runners-up Salisbury.

Pete Beadle's side eventually finished the season on 107 league points from 42 games, winning 33, drawing eight and losing just one- 18 points clear of second place.

It was the second title in as many years for Hereford FC since their formation and was secured away at Salisbury on March 25.

Beadle said the first he knew his side had a great chance of sealing the Southern League Division One South & West title at Salisbury was at half-time.

The Bulls were 3-0 up at Salisbury, while Taunton and Tiverton were losing at Evesham and Wimborne respectively.

Evesham scored another goal in stoppage time to seal a 2-0 win, while Tiverton lost 1-0.

“One of the lads who wasn’t playing came to me at half-time and said both teams were losing, but there were still 45 minutes to go and you don’t know what’s going to happen in those games,” said Beadle.

“I thought were excellent in the game and then afterwards it was a waiting game to see how the other games were doing.

“I remember with about 10 minutes to go asking Martin [Watson] how it was going and they were both still going for us. But 10 minutes is a long time in football.

“I think Tiverton finished at about the same time as us, then Evesham was going on a bit longer. It was just waiting to find out and if it hadn’t have been that final score and Taunton had got back into the game, it wouldn’t

have been a problem.

“We would then tried to have sealed it at home. But we’ve done it and we’ve got over the line.”

Hereford got off to a dream start when Mike Symons headed home John Mills’ cross in the fifth minute.

And it got better for the Bulls just eight minutes later.

Salisbury right-back George Colson initially headed Symons’ header off the line following a corner, but Jamie Molyneux was on hand to bundle the ball home.

Any hope of Steve Claridge’s side getting back into the game effectively evaporated when Pablo Haysham unleashed an unstoppable shot on the half-hour mark.

And when news filtered through that Jordan Bryan had opened the

scoring for Evesham, it felt that it could be Hereford’s day, especially when Tiverton fell behind at Wimborne just before half-time.

Into the second half and Kane O’Keefe’s header hit the crossbar for Salisbury before Symons diverted home Mike McGrath’s cross to make it 4-0.

Harris then made a great double save to deny O’Keefe, while at the other end Symons blazed over as he searched for his hat-trick.

It did not matter though because Evesham’s win ensured Hereford were champions.

“We were focused on winning today and then taking it back to next week,” Beadle added.

“But football is a funny old game and the lads deserve to be able to enjoy the rest of the season.

“I’m delighted for the players because they’ve been brilliant all season.”