HEREFORD’S Wembley dream may have been shattered after the Bulls lost their FA Vase final - but few will forget the sight of 20,000 fans in the home of English football.

On the day, Morpeth Town showed some canny experience and grit to come from behind to win 4-1 and lift the FA Vase.

It had all started so well for Hereford who went ahead after just 75 seconds when Rob Purdie fired in a sensational shot from 25 yards.

But despite heavy pressure, which included a Sirdic Grant shot crashing against the bar, Morpeth rallied to clinch victory.

Hereford manager Pete Beadle opted to leave top scorer John Mills and influential winger Mustapha Bundu on the bench.

After Purdie’s opener, it was just two minutes later when a lovely one-two

between Pablo Haysham and Grant resulted in the latter’s low drive being blocked by Karl Dryden in the Morpeth goal.

On nine minutes, the 20,000 Hereford fans stood in unison to salute Hereford United’s late striker Adam Stansfield, a key figure in the Bulls’ promotion to the Football League in 2006.

Dryden was by far the busier ‘keeper and was called upon on 13 minutes to palm away a Haysham header, before blocking a Joe Tumelty snapshot.

At the other end, Hereford’s number one Martin Horsell was first called upon on 17 minutes when a Sean Taylor shot dipped viciously, forcing Horsell to tip the ball over the bar.

But Hereford were dominating and had another chance when Haysham found himself free six yards out having been put through by Symons, but the striker miskicked and the ball trickled past.

Ben Sayer went close for Morpeth before the northerners equalised on 34 minutes when 45-year-old Chris Swailes bundled home a corner to stun the hordes of Bulls fans.

Swailes had overcome major heart surgery and went into the game having already won two FA Vase finals in his career.

Hereford’s misery was almost compounded when Morpeth striker Michael Chilton somehow missed an open goal from seven yards, skewing a shot wide with the outside of his boot.

The second half began in much the same dramatic fashion as the first, only with Morpeth being the side on target, Luke Carr turning home a Sean Taylor pass.

Beadle needed some urgency and turned to the pace of Bundu in place of Tumelty.

But instead of Hereford forcing an equaliser, Morpeth added to the scoreline with Taylor slotting home from close range.

Top scorer Mills came off the bench with 20 minutes to go as Hereford pushed bodies forward.

But, despite a late Bundu effort, they struggled to carve out an opening and Morpeth added a late deflected goal to seal victory.