EXPERIENCED campaigner Rob Purdie says that starring in Hereford FC’s historic first game at Edgar Street is right up there with what he has achieved in the game.

Hereford surprised everyone by beating FC United of Manchester 1-0 in their first game at Edgar Street thanks to substitute Nathan Hughes’s goal.

The game was played in front of a bumper crowd of 4,257 and was newly-formed Hereford’s second win in a week following a 3-2 success at Malvern Town.

“When I look at the end of my career, there will probably be about 10 games that I remember and this one will be right up there,” said Purdie.

“It is a day that all the fans will remember, as well as people at board room level and every player.

“It just shows what can be achieved at Hereford.”

Purdie felt although FC United, who will play in Conference North next season following promotion, played the better football, Hereford deserved at least a draw due to their sheer hard work.

“I don’t think anyone would have batted an eyelid if we lost five or six nil to a team who play three leagues above us and we could see they had played together for a long time, but we have got a group of lads on trial who are trying to impress and are all working hard,” he said.

Goalkeeper Harvey Rivers, who made a number of good saves during the game, added that it was amazing to play in front of such a large crowd.

“For a lot of the local players, it was a dream come true,” said Rivers. “It just shows we’re a big fish in a small pond.

“We had 2,000 fans behind the goal cheering us on, which changes the dynamics because the crowd was 100 times bigger than some of the lads normally play before.

“No one expected that result, even a few of the lads didn’t, especially as they have got all of the players that they won promotion with. We only met a couple of weeks ago, but it shows what can be achieved when you work hard.”

Rivers added that he was pleased with his own contribution.

“I had a few saves to make but if I didn’t make them I would have been disappointed,” he said. “It is good to keep yourself busy.”

Rivers was in action after 11 minutes when he dived to save Rory Fallon’s low drive and then grabbed a deflection from team-mate Nathan Summers.

In between, he could only watch as a shot from Greg Daniels fizzed inches past the far upright.

FC United looked the better of the two sides, which was hardly unexpected due to them being three levels above their hosts.

But it was Hereford who should have gone into the half-time break ahead.

Ben Miller made a fine break out of defence and slipped a pass to Solomon Wheatley, who has signed on after impressing in his two games on trial for Hereford.

The former Plymouth Academy youngster crossed from the right-hand side, but Sam Pearson was unable to control the ball with only goalkeeper Nick Culkin to beat.

In the second half, a flicked header from Tom Brown went over the bar, while Rivers did well to hold on to a shot from Scott Cheetham at the second attempt.

But it was Hereford who went ahead after 65 minutes when Hughes bundled the ball home from Wheatley’s cross.

Pete Beadle’s men, with Purdie master-minding things in a more defensive role in midfield, then managed to see out the game and record their second win in a week.