HEREFORD United are promoted to League 1 after their 15th away win of the season at Brentford.

First half goals from Garry Hooper and Theo Robinson and then an injury-time strike from Simon Johnson topped off a memorable afternoon and season.

Brentford, who were not actively involved in either the promotion or relegation battles, included former Bulls striker Alan Connell.

To add to the confusion factor, however, both sides included a player called Wayne Brown.

It was Brentford's version who had the game's first shot, firing high over his namesake's goal inside the opening minute.

Then, as the home side made the early pace, Alan Bennett volleyed over from a Ryan Dickson free-kick.

Hereford, after a nervous start, gradually gained their composure and started to dominate.

The Bulls forced a couple of corners which came to nothing before taking the lead on 18 minutes.

Robinson's flick played in Hooper and while keeper Ben Hamer got a hand to his low shot, he was unable to keep it out.

Only a fine Hamer save prevented Clint Easton from extending the lead in the 24th with the goalkeeper clawing away a 20-yard drive from a corner.

From a further flag-kick on 32 minutes, Hereford were given a great chance to extend the lead.

Centre-back Bennett climbed all over Dean Beckwith from Sammy Igoe's flag-kick and referee Scott Mathieson awarded a penalty.

Robinson rolled the ball home but Mathieson ordered a re-take.

However, this time Hamer guessed correctly to save Robinson's kick.

But within seconds, Robinson had his revenge, seizing on a Bennett mistake and rounding Hamer before smashing in his 12th League goal of the season, equalling Hooper's total.

Hereford made a strong start to the second period with Hooper often to the fore.

The on-loan forward got around the back of the defence from an Easton pass and saw Hamer claw away his cross.

Hooper was then neatly played in by Robinson and rounded a defender only to shoot inches wide.

Brentford occasionally looked lively in attack and Connell's overhead kick cleared the bar by only inches.

Then it was Robinson's turn to shoot just wide, racing on to Hooper's pass but clipping his shot just past an upright.

But in injury-time, after Gary Poole had thumped a shot against a Hereford post.

Trent McClenahan broke out of defence and Johnson could not miss from his cross to seal a memorable afternoon in the Bulls' history.