INTERIM manager Josh Gowling was disappointed as Hereford fell to their 12th league defeat of the season.

The Bulls looked brighter and created more chances than they did before Gowling took the reins, but it wasn't enough as they fell to a 2-0 defeat at Alfreton Town.

A goal either side of half time saw the Reds secure three points, with Gowling admitting his side still has a lot of work to get where he wants them to be.

READ MORE: Alfreton Town vs Hereford FC as it happened

"We're disappointed to not get a result because obviously we came here to win," Gowling said.

"There's so many positives that we can take from the game, especially second half when they've had one breakaway and scored from it.

"We've created a lot of chances but there's still a lot of work to do and we knew that coming in.

"We're trying to change the philosophy of the football club and the identity, and that's going to take some time."

RELATED NEWS: Loanee defender 'thrown in at deep end' on debut

Strong winds in Derbyshire made for a tricky game, with Hereford getting the ball down on the deck and playing some neat, passing football.

This saw them create a number of chances through the game, but it's now a case of moving onto the next game, a home fixture against Southport.

He said: "First half you can see the two centre halves with the long kicks from the keeper, it was swirling all over the place, that's where their first goal came from.

"It was a great strike from the lad and I'm not sure he'll score one of them again. It was difficult conditions but we wanted to get the ball down and play.

"That's what we tried to do today.

"You can see from today that we created a lot of chances and we've got ourselves in good positions.

"We've got to pick ourselves up and work hard again Tuesday and Thursday and go again Saturday."

Trailing 1-0 at the break, Gowling added Hereford were full of confidence going into the second half.

They'd fallen behind thanks to a great strike from Alfreton right-back Josh Clackstone, but hadn't been without good chances of their own.

"You come in at half time and you're looking at the result and you're 1-0 down, I still thought we were the better team first half so we were confident," he said.

"We were confident we were going to get that win and that kind of shows when came out second half.

"We penned them straight back in, we got corners, had shots and they couldn't get out of their half.

"We really did believe and then their goal is a bit of a killer blow really."