A HALF-TIME 'rocket' from their management team saw Westfields come from two goals down to beat Malvern on penalties in the Bluefin Sports Challenge Cup.

Fields made a host of changes from the side that beat Brimscombe & Thrupp in midweek and found themselves 2-0 down at the break.

However, a half-time talking to was the catalyst for a response as substitute Sam Plane pull a goal back.

The visitors netted again to restore their advantage before new signing Cameron Peters gave Fields hope once again.

Phil Glover then introduced Richard Greaves and Aidan Thomas into the attack, both having an immediate impact with the latter netting to make it 3-3 in the 80th minute.

However, three minutes later former Westfields fullback Phil Harris looked to have hit the winner when he raced through before firing in a long-range effort into the top corner.

The hosts once again responded and with just a minute left on the clock Greaves crossed for Thomas to slide home a late leveller to take the tie to penalties.

The penalty taking was superb by both sides until Malvern striker George Hayes saw his shot saved low by Ian Havard which left Paul Hurrell to end the sudden death and give Westfields an 8-7 win on penalties.

"It was a good cup tie for a neutral," said Westfields manager Glover.

"We haven't got a very big squad so I changed it around a bit, but didn't see it as a weakened squad.

"We underperformed in the first half and played our worst 45 minutes of football since pre-season.

"They got a rocket at half-time and I got a reaction from them.

"When your putting a squad together you aim for the lads on the bench to make an impact.

"This week it was Greaves, Plane and Thomas while last week it was Daniel Stoneman with a last minute winner.

"Credit to Malvern as they are a decent side who will push for the league and have got six or seven of our former players.

"It was good to keep our momentum and now we've won six on the bounce in September."

Glover said he was confident of victory once the tie went straight to penalties after 90 minutes.

"It was good because we had done some (penalties) against Cardiff in pre-season," he added.

"That was high scoring so I knew the lads were decent although we don't practice them."

Westfields remain in the Bluefin Sports (UHL) Challenge Cup, Banbury Litho Floodlit Challenge Cup, Herefordshire County Challenge Cup and FA Vase.

Glover says the cup competitions give him the opportunity to rotate his squad and keep players fresh.

"Going forward with the squad it's certainly not a first and second 11," Glover added.

"We're trying to give people as many minutes as possible so they are ready to step in.

"The cup competitions allow us to protect some players and keep them fresh."

Lads Club will face a trip to Fairfield Town in the fourth round of the Challenge Cup following a 3-1 win at Royal Wootton Bassett Town.

James Hancocks, Adam Hockey and Jamie Cuthbertson all netted to secure their place.

Wellington also progressed into the fourth round as Matt Williams netted a brace during their 3-1 win at Highworth Town Reserves, with Sam Pearson scoring the other.