RALLY enthusiast Roger Chilman took a superb win in last weekend's ATL Carlisle Stages despite coming under severe pressure.

The event offered 41 miles in the Newcastleton and Kershope area of Keilder Forest, for the 70 competitors and was round four of the Fuchs Lubricants British Historic Rally Championship.

The open rally also contained 12 four wheeled drive cars with many Scottish Championship regulars using the event for seat time.

On the opening three-mile test Chilman together with new co-driver Patrick Walsh, stopped the clocks two seconds quicker than Matthew Robinson with Jason Pritchard a further second back.

Herefordshire farmer Chilman then went quickest again on the second test in Newcastleton before consolidating his lead with a stunning time through the 13 miles of Kershope, to arrive at service with a 15 second lead over Robinson with Simon Webster having a superb run in third.

The afternoon consisted of a repeat loop of the morning tests, and the Securcom, Morspan Contruction, Connop, Haywood Demolition backed RS1800 never missed a beat over the three tests.

Despite coming under pressure from the similar cars of Robinson, Pritchard and Webster, in the final 12 miles of Kershope Chilman held on to take an outstanding victory by five seconds.

"It's fantastic to win here and beating all the four wheel drive cars," said Chilman.

"It's the first time I've ever had Patrick with me and he was superb. It has been a great battle all day. We built a good lead at half way, but we come under serious pressure this afternoon. "The stages got rough which didn't suit me but we held on, thanks to Meirion at Wales Motorsport for a superb car, all my sponsors and Pirelli tyres."

Chilman used the event as part of his build up to the RAC Rally in November.

Sadly for Ross garage owner Steve Bennett his event was short lived with engine failure in the Bennett Tyres RS1800 on stage two

Ben Friend and Cliffy Simmons were another crew to retire with the Allglass RS1800 breaking a stub axle.