HEREFORD United legends took to the hallowed Edgar Street turf on Sunday to take part in Rob Purdie's testimonial.

Purdie said that organising the match was more stressful than a wedding, as he celebrated more than 450 appearances with Hereford and Hereford United.

Graham Turner signed Purdie from Leicester City when he was 19 in 2002, and he was back in the dugout on Sunday in charge of a Hereford United XI who took on a Hereford FC XI.

Purdie said: "Graham was so happy when he walked through the door, that was my first big smile of the day.

"I'd been stressed in the morning and Graham came in, shook my hand and gave me a hug and it was great to see him.

"You always want to win a game of football, Graham said before the game that you've always got to try, and he meant it."

Familiar faces like Wayne Brown, Tony James, Gavin Williams and Steve Guinan all took part in the match, but the younger Hereford FC XI earned bragging rights in front of more than 1,500 supporters.

Hereford FC started the game the brighter of the two sides as John Mills blazed a shot over the bar, followed by two chances from Sol Wheatley which were kept out by goalkeeper Wayne Brown.

Andy Williams had the first real chance of the game for United midway through the first half as he screwed a shot well-wide of the upright after being teed-up by Stuart Fleetwood. Fleetwood then had a chance of his own before half time, but after getting past Harry Franklin with a quick break down the left, he sent his shot wide of the upright.

Four minutes into the second half and Pablo Haysham found the target for Hereford FC. A snap shot from the creative forward broke the deadlock.

The United players managed to pull themselves back level eight minutes from time. A Steve Guinan corner was met by Michael Townsend who stood tallest to head home.

John Mills soon restored Hereford FC's lead. Pablo Haysham created the chance for his former strike partner, with Mills left with the easy task of side-footing the ball into the back of the net to ensure his side won 2-1.

Hereford FC XI: Rhys Evans, Harry Franklin, Jamie Willets, Nathan Summers, Joel Edwards (c), Sol Wheatley, Adam Birch, Jamie Edge, Adam page, Pablo Haysham, John Mills.

Subs: Martin Horsell, Jack Deaman, Anthony Robbins, Jamie Cuss, Joe Tumelty.

Hereford United XI: Wayne Brown, Simon Travis, Ryan Green, Tony James (c), Michael Townsend, Alex Jeannin, Sam Gwynne, Rob Purdie, Ben Smith, Stuart Fleetwood, Andy Williams.

Subs: Matt Baker, Matt Clarke, Jamie Pitman, Gavin Williams, Steve Guinan.