HEREFORD Head Coach Marc Richards said he can see why forward James Waite was sent off during their 2-2 draw with Leamington.

The teenage forward struck the opening 33rd minute goal before Jack Edwards pulled the visitors level a minute before half-time.

Tom Owen-Evans was fouled inside the box a minute later before stepping up and slotting home the penalty to give his side a 2-1 lead at the break.

However, the turning point came on the 61st minute when Waite elbowed his marker while going for a high ball and was given a straight red card by referee Scott Simpson.

The Brakes came back into the tie and when Owen-Evans bundled over the Brakes forward Colby Bishop fired home from the penalty spot with eight minutes remaining.

“I really feel for him to be fair, we have just looked at it back and you can see why he has probably given the red,” said Richards speaking about the red card incident.

“It’s not meant any intent or malice at all. He has just jumped and has got his arms in the air and has caught the lad in the face.

“You can see why the referee has given it. He (Waite) was being really effective and popped up with another goal and was looking a threat for the time he was on the pitch.

“It’s just frustrating as I think if we had 11 on the pitch for the full 90 then we would have hopefully held on to that 2-1 or nicked another one.”

After holding on for the last 30 minutes with 10 men Richards said he was happy with a point from the game.

He added: “I think it was really difficult conditions which I don’t think were evident from the side lines so much but out there, there was a hell of a wind and you saw that first half with us trying to clear our box.

“They are kind of used to it here and play effective football in terms of being direct and getting around the seconds.

“At times we defended our box well, sloppy for their goal the first one and the sending off has probably changed the game a little bit.

“I was pleased to get a point out of it. The boys were solid and it was a soft penalty for both us and them.

“At 2-1 up you are hoping to hang on but in the 84th minute their second went in so I’m just glad we got a point in the end.

“It was a different sort of performance today. In that last 30 minutes we were asking the lads to put their bodies on the line and work hard. I thought they were excellent, there were some blocks going in, some last ditch tackles and some real bravery in terms of defending.

“Also on the ball in terms of being 10 men against 11. Performance levels are getting there which will hopefully result in more points both at home and on the road.

“We’re definitely going in the right direction, both with that and up the table.”

Richards said that around 600 travelling Bulls fans were ‘superb’ despite one fan invading the pitch following the opening goal.

“It was superb, the noise levels were like we were the home team.

“It was absolute brilliant at the end.

“There was a slight scenario when we went 1-0 up but we managed to resolve that, added Richards.

“Danny (Greenslade) grabbed him after seeing him come on the pitch and ushered him to the side and put the fence back.

“I’m glad it didn’t interfere with the game too much.

“The passion and the energy that gives the players really helps.”

Hereford: Yates, Thomas, Greenslade, Cullinane-Liburd, Oates, Gowling, O'Sullivan, Owen-Evans, Richards (Finn 90), Waite, Lloyd (Symons 68)

Unused subs: Smith, Wharton, Roberts