HEREFORD saw their FA Vase dreams of reaching Wembley crushed for another season as Brackley Town comfortably beat them at Edgar Street.

Bulls Head Coach Marc Richards said the visitors deserved to win as his side went three goals behind and failed to create many chances until Josh Gowling pulled a goal inside injury time.

Richards added that Shane Byrne’s 14th minute penalty ‘killed’ his side after Jordan Cullinane-Liburd fouled inside the box.

Lee Ndlovu slid home a second just a minute inside the second half before Shaun Jeffers neat strike sent the reigning champions into the third round.

“I think it’s the first time in seven home games when we haven’t been at it,” said Richards.

“The first half we were okay but they wanted it more than us. They won more of the 50/50s and second balls.

“We were a little bit naive at times compared to some of the decisions that they were making were the difference.

“They had the chances and took them. I’m disappointed with the performance today. I thought we were playing some good football at times in that first 15 and 20 minutes but the goal has killed us.

“We spoke about their set pieces and how many times they are winning penalties from set pieces. It’s been an unbelievable save from (Matt) Yates and it was just naive again as the lads going away from goal and he doesn’t even have to try and make the tackle.

“I think it could have been free-kick anywhere else on the field. A few people said it looked really soft but you just don’t need to when you’re in the area.

“Especially when somebody is facing away from goal you don’t need to make any sort of challenge.

“It puts us on the back foot then and because a team away from home is 1-0 up. The frustrating thing is that we came out in the second half and we need to stay in the game.

“And we concede after a minute and a half which was a really sloppy goal. We’ve not stopped the initial cross but we’ve actually won it back and given it away.

“Unfortunately today Brackley have deserved the win.”

The Bulls, who went into the tie on the back of seven matches unbeaten at home, started well with Kyle Finn’s lobbed shot rattling the bar before Eliot Richards almost prodded home Mike Symons’ ball only to watch the ball skip away.

However Brackley, who beat Hereford 2-0 in the league back in September, played themselves into the tie and goalkeeper Matt Yates was forced into two saves.

Following his second save Cullinane-Liburd conceded a penalty which Byrne calmly dispatched.

Hereford the struggled to break down an organised defence but Richards’ did test the visitors from range and his powerful effort forced goalkeeper Danny Lewis into action.

Controversy followed the half-time whistle as referee Richard Hulme blew for the break just as the visitors headed home a free-kick.

However, Brackley had their second a minute after the break when Matt Lowe's cross was slid home by Ndlovu.

Any hopes of a fight-back were ended on the 65th minute when Jeffers turned before finding the bottom corner with his shot.

The Bulls looked for a way back into the tie and Tom Owen-Evans headed a Keyon Reffell cross at the goalkeeper from close range.

Substitute Joel Dielna showed some threat for the Bulls but saw his powerful effort saved.

Moments after seeing an effort deflected onto the bar Hereford were rewarded for their efforts when Gowling headed home from close range.

Hereford: Yates, Thomas, Greenslade, Wharton, Cullinane-Liburd, Gowling, Richards ( Dielna 77), Owen-Evans, Finn (O'Sullivan 57), Roberts(Reffell 56), Symons

Unused subs: Smith, Dinsley