GOALKEEPER Martin Horsell has left Hereford by mutual consent after admitting it has been a ‘frustrating time’ being sat on the substitute bench.

The 32-year-old, from Devon, joined the Bulls in December 2015 and has helped them to two league titles.

However, after the loan of goalkeeper Matt Yates was extended until the end of the season the goalkeeper has chosen to leave the club.

Horsell said he had been left frustrated since losing his starting place after suffering concussion during the side’s 2-0 defeat in the FA Cup by Welling back in October.

“Matt Yates came in after my concussion and although it’s been a frustrating time for me, having not played since October, there’s no hard feelings between myself and him,” Horsell told the club’s website.

“I wish the whole squad the very best for the future and hope they go on to do well for the remainder of the season.

“I’ve had an amazing three years here at Edgar Street. Without a doubt they have been the best years of my footballing career and deciding to leave has been a very tough decision.

“However it is one that I have thought long and hard over, and at this stage in my career, I really want to be playing first-team football.

“I’d like to thank everyone involved in my time here; the management, the players and the staff over the past three years, but most importantly a big thank you to the fans who have been absolutely incredible. To hear the fans chanting ‘Horsell is Superman’ is an absolute privilege and my time here is one that I will look back on fondly.”

Last month Gloucester City put in a seven day approach for the goalkeeper but Horsell decided to stay at Hereford.

Head of Football Tim Harris said “Martin is obviously a very well-liked player, and we understand that supporters will be disappointed that he has decided to leave, however, Martin feels that he needs to be playing football week in week out.

“We certainly respect his decision and have no intention of standing in his way as he looks for a return to regular football.”