HEREFORD Head Coach Marc Richards says his players are 'buying into' his plans leading to five home victories on the bounce.

Danny Greenslade's first half strike was followed by Mike Symons' deflected second as the Bulls continued their climb up the National League North.

"I thought first half we were very good and despite being sloppy at times in the second half we managed to do enough to see the game out, so I'm really happy," said Richards.

"The pitch helps as Ben (Bowen) has got it in such an immaculate condition week in week out, that really does help and it's showing with the home results and performances.

"The whole team really defended well. The boys have been great and have really been buying into everything we are doing and long may it continue.

"They (Chester) were struggling a bit and had four out and the early injury to their right-back didn't help them. I think they were a bit depleted."

Despite missing three key players through injury the visitors started well and Bradley Jackson saw his close range effort saved by Matt Yates, who gathered at the second attempt.

Chester's selection dilemmas were made worse when Matt Thompson left the field on a stretcher after 16 minutes.

From the re-start the Bulls almost broke the deadlock as Kyle Finn got to the byline and crossed for Tom Owen-Evans but the midfielder failed to connect.

After much probing the opening Hereford goal came after 30 minutes when James Roberts beat his man down the left before crossing to Greenslade to fire home from inside the box.

George Lloyd should have doubled Hereford's lead four minutes later after Greenslade sent a searching ball across the box which just evaded the striker.

At the other end Yates was forced into action again blocking Craig Mahon's headed effort.

Cheltenham loanee striker Lloyd went close again before the break following a one-two with Tommy O'Sullivan which released the striker, who put his effort wide.

Lloyd was causing the visitors a host of problems and minutes later he was through on goal again but lifted his effort over the bar.

Any nerves were settled in the 72nd minute when the Bulls doubled their lead.

Kyle Finn's ball into the box was only half cleared by Steven Howson allowing Jordan Cullinane-Liburd to head it back into the danger area and Mike Symons bundled the ball home off a Chester body.

Derby County loanee goalkeeper Yates is due to return to his parent club in January but hopes to stay at Edgar Street after keeping the number one shirt off senior stopper Martin Horsell.

“I’m enjoying playing here and there is a great set on lads so hopefully I can extend that,” said Yates

“I know Horsell is a great goalkeeper so it is good pressure for me to have trying to get back into the team.

“That’s the sort of pressure that I had to try and keep my place and hopefully I can keep putting clean sheets in and getting points on the board.

“That’s the pressure for me to maintain and I know we have had a couple of good results but we don’t want to get carried away and keep pushing up that table.

“After losing at Bradford we couldn’t wait to get back out there and put it right and try and get a result."