MIKE McGrath came off the bench to head home a stoppage time winner as Hereford moved within one win of lifting the Evo-Stik Southern Premier title.

McGrath who is still coming back to fitness from an injury caused a host of problems in the Bishop’s Stortford box as the 10-men hosts tried to hold on for a draw before heading home a late winner.

Earlier in the game Mike Symons saw a penalty saved by goalkeeper Calum Kitscha, who also made a string of second half saves to deny Hereford.

“I’m really pleased for (Mike) McGrath as he has really worked his tail of for 15 weeks to try and get fit and he is that type of person who will put his head where others won’t and that’s why we want him around,” said Beadle.

“Today was the reward for the hard work and it was a fantastic header so we’re really pleased for him.

“I’m sure that was a great moment for him and us.

“We left it late but it wasn’t our intention to do that and the players gave everything they could on a surface on a tricky surface.

“The first half we looked a threat and missed a penalty but in the second half you have to give them credit as they came out with two banks of four and just worked their tails off.

“You fell a little bit for them but they haven’t really got out of their half, we have been camped in there.

“You get the feeling when the ball smacks the goalkeeper in the face that it wasn’t going to be our day today and sometimes it happens like that but it turned out not to be. As always the players didn’t let us down with their perseverance and what a fantastic goal to win it in the end.

“The longer they went on they had something to hang onto but it was the right result with the amount of chances we had and no real threat to us.”

McGrath came on in the 73rd minute but thought that he had missed his opportunity to score moments earlier as the ball came flying around the box.

“It felt really good to come on and score the goal from a personal level and for the team as well,” added McGrath.

“I missed one just before and I thought that was my chance to nick the winner. (Rob) Purdie had a corner before and put it in the same area so I thought I’d get across the goalkeeper and take one for the team.

“Luckily I got there just before the goalkeeper and it went in. I’m happy for me and happy for the team.”

A win at Biggleswade Town at Tuesday will seal the title but Beadle says it won’t be an easy game.

“We’ve just to keep doing what we’re doing and prepare for Tuesday which is not an easy game, a difficult fixture and a long journey on a Tuesday evening,” added Beadle.

“But we know what the prize is at the end but we’ve known that for a couple of games now if we keep performing how we have done.

“Since the Basingstoke game the lads have been spectacular.”