PABLO Haysham was delighted to score two goals as Hereford started the New Year in the best possible way.

Haysham has been in an out of his side this season, but has started more games recently and his braced helped his team beat Redditch United 5-2 in the Evo-Stik South Premier.

"It was a disappointing start for me and I wasn't happy with what I was doing on the pitch," admitted Haysham.

"But I feel I have worked hard to get back into it and I've done a lot to get into good shape.

"To stay focused and have a good attitude when you're out of the side is important and I feel as good as I've ever felt and am close to being at my best.

"It's difficult to stay in this side because there's so many good players but hopefully I can do that now.

"I was really happy with the goals I scored and it's always nice to get o the scoresheet.

"I'm delighted to get two good goals."

Hereford went into the game on the back of poor 0-0 draw at Merthyr Town.

"It just didn't seem to click for one reason or another in that game and we spoke about things and worked on them in training," added Haysham.

"I think we did it a lot better today and I think, as a team, we always bounce back.

"That's the sort of mentality we've got and the players we've got here."

Next up for Hereford is a trip to promotion rivals Slough Town.

"We always look to do well in every game but we understand that when there's big games coming up and a big month," said Haysham.

"And if we go through this month well, it puts us in a good position and we will be looking to do that.

"There are teams that are in and around us but when you play here, three points is the expectation every time you go out there.

"It's maybe a slightly bigger game, but we won't be caught up in that.

"We'll be looking to do well and do what we do every week."

In a frantic first half against Redditch, Hereford found themselves 4-2 up.

Former Hereford United player Ashley Sammons opened the scoring for Redditch from the penalty spot in the eighth minute after Jack Deaman brought down Stuart Fleetwood.

Hereford were then awarded a penalty seven minutes after Haysham was bundled over and John Mills sent Ethan Ross the wrong way.

The Bulls then went ahead just four minutes later thanks to a cracking effort from Haysham, but back came Redditch.

Fleetwood, another ex-United player, capitalised on a misplaced pass to fire home in the 29th minute.

However, Hereford restored their lead just two minutes later thanks to substitute Lance Smith before Haysham made it 4-2 six minutes later.

Smith should have sealed the win in the second half, but blazed over from a few yards out.

However, Hereford were never in trouble and Mills sealed the win seven minutes from time and he diverted the ball home after Garyn Preen's shot hit a post.

Hereford: Horsell, Oates, Pring, Murphy, Preston, Deaman, Richards, Reffell (Smith 18), Mills, Haysham, Preen

Subs not used: Symons, Purdie, Bird, Harris

Attendance: 3,083