HEREFORD head coach Sean Lynn was 'over the moon' to see off Lutterworth in a tight Midlands 1 West game at Wyeside.

An end-to-end game saw Hereford prevail 16-15, to the delight of Lynn.

“Lutterworth were the unknown,” he said.

"We didn’t know much about them and they didn’t know much about us.

"They were a very good side, good up front and liked to spread the ball.

"We targeted these last two important home games and after the win against Worcester, to come away with a 16-15 win was excellent.

"In the first half, the boys showed great character and their defensive display in the 22 was probably what won us the game.

"Going in at half time at 10-0was excellent.

"A little bit of indiscipline let Lutterworth back into it, but that’s something we can work on.

"It was nice to give a debut to Lennon Fishlock, a 19-year-old prop who came on and did a good job.

"It was also good to have Matt Pritchard back, bringing us that bit of physicality edge.

"The squad’s in a good place, there will be some sore bodies and I’m sure they will enjoy this weekend off.

"It is good to go into the week off on a high.”

Hereford's early pressure forced Lutterworth to concede a penalty and they took the lead with a long-range penalty goal from Bryn Goodall after 15 minutes.

The Hereford backs put together some threatening handling moves and Perry Pudge made a good break out of defence.

The move took the attack into the Lutterworth half and into their 22 where an off-load from Goodall saw Tom Ewins dive over for a try; Goodall adding the extra points.

The second half started with Goodall exchanging penalties with his opposite number before Lutterworth reduced the deficit when they took a quick penalty to beat the home defence and score their first try.

A determined run by Leon Parsons into the Lutterworth half forced a penalty which Goodall landed to give Hereford an eight-point advantage.

But as the game entered the last 10 minutes, the away side broke a number of tackles to crash over for their second try.

The conversion took the visitors to within one point and they had a chance to take the win with a late penalty.

But the attempt from a difficult angle went narrowly wide and Hereford claimed the win.

Hereford's next match is an away game at Melbourne on November 25.