WEOBLEY and District Bowling Club celebrated their 70th year in style by hosting a team of friends of English Bowling.

Six rinks were in action at the green, which was voted the best in the county last season.

"In 1947 the then owner of the Red Lion provided land at the rear of the pub for men returning from the Second World War for their enjoyment," explained president Judith Pritchard.

"The founding president of the club was Colonel Verdin, the grandfather of the present landowner James Verdin, and the club remained there for 45 years before the lease expired in 2001.

"After a vigorous four year funding campaign we raised more than £110,000 including a grant of £25,000 from the Foundation of Sport and Art to construct the new bowling green on the Garnstone Estate in Hereford Road.

"Durning the four years we were without a green, the club played on various greens around Herefordshire and Mid-Wales, and we are indebted to them for allowing us to play our home and away fixtures.

"We started out with one room, two changing rooms and two Portaloos.

"Gradually through hard work by our members, we now have a dining room which can accommodate 60 players, along with a bar, veranda and wain house.

"It has been 15 years of progress since we lost the green behind the Red Lion and our aim is to encourage novice, and experienced bowlers to join the club.

"We also have to thank the Friends of English Bowling for helping us celebrate our 70th Anniversary."