A DRUNK woman described as 'Jekyll and Hyde' clawed a police officer's face, leaving him scratched, bruised and bloodied.

Kathleen Groves admitted assaulting a police officer in the execution of his duties at Worcester Police Station when she appeared before city magistrates on Thursday.

The 31-year-old of Pike Close, St Peter's, Worcester, was being taken to her cell by PC Dale Callaway on September 9 this year when she launched the attack.

Sarah Hurd, prosecuting, said: "She broke free from the detention of the officer and scratched PC Callaway's face with her nails twice."

Groves was detained on the floor by officers before being taken to a cell.

PC Callaway suffered a 7cm laceration to the right hand side of his face and forehead, a 4cm laceration to his jaw, scratches to the nose and cheek, bruising to his left arm and 'numerous grazes' to the neck and arm. One of the cuts, to the left hand side of his lip, drew blood.

Photographs of the injuries were supplied to the court.

Miss Hurd said: "She has a history of assaulting police constables."

Groves was convicted of assaulting a police constable in January last year for which she was given a community order.

Edward Gaynor-Smith, defending, said Groves had been out celebrating her brother's birthday with family. He said the combination of alcohol and the medication she takes for her mental health issues was 'not a good mix'.

When interviewed by police the mother-of-two said she could not remember what had happened but accepted the account put to her by officers.

He said: "She is best described as Jekyll and Hyde. She has been diagnosed as suffering from a split personality disorder."

Mr Gaynor-Smith said she had since been to her GP and the strength of her medication had been increased.

"She is deeply apologetic and deeply remorseful" he told the court.

Magistrates sentenced her to 12 weeks in prison suspended for 12 months.

She must complete a six month alcohol treatment programme and 15 days of a rehabilitation activity requirement.

Groves will be placed on a 13 week electronically curfew. She must be indoors between 8pm and 7am daily. She must also pay court costs of £135, a victim surcharge of £115 and compensation to the officer of £50.