Hereford'S late two-goal revival earned them first away point of the season in the Football Conference.

The Bulls seemed to be stumbling towards their fifth successive away defeat until two goals in two minutes from Richard Leadbeater and Mark Druce the first of the season for both earned a point.

Hereford, whose defence had gone to sleep twice to allow the Wings to gain control of the game, then came within inches of snatching victory when Ian Wright's glancing header from a Chris Lane cross crept the wrong side of the post.

The visitors had the best of the early play but neither side managed a clear cut opening until Mark Hynes reacted first to Mark Cooper's knock down to shoot home past Andy Quy in the 34th minute.

Welling keeper Glen Knight then had to dive to hold a misdirected header from his own full-back Lew Watts, but Leadbeater missed a glorious chance to level after 40 minutes when he shot wide with only Knight to beat.

Hereford were forced to replace Gary Cook (shin injury) with Druce at half-time and five minutes into the second period skipper Ian Rodgerson limped off with a groin injury and was replaced by Keith Downing.

The re-shuffled side were soon two goals in arrears when woeful marking from a Dereck Brown corner allowed centre-back John Farley a free header in the 55th minute.

Farley got free again nine minutes later when he met Tony Dolby's free-kick but, luckily for Hereford, on this occasion his header hit the bar and went over.

With United's fans already resigned to a third successive defeat by Welling, Hereford replaced John Snape with Paul Fewings and suddenly began their revival.

Gavin Mahon produced a beautiful through ball for Leadbeater to fire past Knight in the 77th minute and two minutes later Fewings had a shot blocked and Druce's follow-up effort went into the net off defender Dave McDonald.

Hereford: Quy, Lane, James, Mahon, Wright, Taylor, Rodgerson (Downing 50 mins), Snape (Fewings 75 mins), Leadbeater, Williams, Cook (Druce 45 mins).