Hereford'S poor form on their travels continued on Saturday when they suffered their fifth defeat in six away matches.

Torquay's victory was their first in the last 13 league games against Hereford and came despite conceding a goal in less then 90 seconds. The Bulls included three new players in their 14-strong squad which showed only two members of the side that claimed a point at Plainmoor back in March.

Former Crewe player Lee Ellison was given a seat on the bench and experienced defenders Nicky Law and Trevor Matthewson lined up in a new-look back three with Dean Smith. Law and Matthewson quickly made their mark on the game as both were involved in Chris Hargreaves's quick-fire opener. Law's long throw was flicked on by Matthewson to Ha-rgreaves and his shot hit Lee Barrow on its way into the net to give United a dream start.

Although Smith had a shot saved in the fifth minute following another long throw and Hargreaves headed narrowly over from a Law cross in the 20th minute, United were on the back foot for most of the half and had goalkeeper Andy DeBont to thank for keeping them in the game.

The United keeper was out quickly to smother Garry Nelson's shot in the 19th minute after Law had missed a defensive header and after 27 minutes he produced a brilliant point-blank save after Steve McCall got on the end of a long throw from Lee Barrow.

But DeBont was helpless in the third minute of injury time when, following the Gulls' ninth corner of the half, skipper Alex Watson sent an angled drive into the net from 15 yards.

Jamie Ndah had a great chance to put Torquay ahead early in the second half but blazed over when a mistake by Gareth Stoker put him in the clear.

Torquay's pressure was finally rewarded in the 60th minute when Nelson got free on the left and sent a fine deep cross to the far post where Steve Winter climbed above Micky Forsyth to head past DeBont into the top corner of the net.

After this Torquay continued to have the better of a scrappy game and, although Hereford threw all three substitutes into the action, they failed to create any clear openings. Hereford's Stoker received a yellow card along with Torquay's Winter, McCall and Hathaway.

Hereford: DeBont, Norton, Forsyth (Hibbard 63 min), Smith, Law, Matthewson, Cook (Brough 82 min), Stoker, Foster, Hargreaves, Mahon (Ellison 63 min).

Attendance: 2,073.