Hereford'S penalty nightmare continued as their fifth consecutive miss contributed to their first Nationwide Conference home defeat of the season at a soggy Edgar Street on Saturday.

Experienced player-coach Phil Robinson was the man who squandered the spot-kick after he was brought down by visiting skipper Barry Miller on 71 minutes and from there onwards it was all downhill for the Bulls.

Miller sent the well-travelled home midfielder crashing to the floor to halt a charging run into the Doncaster box and the United number four was quick to pick himself up and offer his services for the resulting penalty.

But Robinson scooped his effort past the left-hand post of Rovers keeper Barry Richardson and became the fourth Hereford man - after Chris Lane (2), Michael McIndoe and Jimmy Quinn - to miss a penalty this term.

Just four minutes afterwards, Rovers dished out United's punishment when striker Michael Turner ensured that the visitors became the first club to record a Conference double over the Bulls this season.

Turner rose to meet a free-kick from the right, lifted in by Jimmy Kelly, and glanced a looping header past keeper Scott Cooksey from six yards.

It was the 10th match in succession that United had failed to keep a clean sheet and this must be a cause of concern for Hereford boss Graham Turner.

There was no lack of openings for the home strike force either. As early as the third minute a whipped cross from left-back Paul Sturgess was blasted over the bar on the half-volley by centre-forward Rob Elmes.

Another sweet centre from Sturgess found the Bulls' top marksman, Gavin Williams, but he could only direct his header into the side netting.

However, it was the visitors who inadvertently came closest to breaking the deadlock when a swirling cross from Kelly left Cooksey wrong-footed and clipped the bar.

The second period was a similar story of opportunities gone begging for the hosts. Matt Clarke created a degree of havoc in the Rovers box on more than one occasion, but McIndoe was twice unable to apply the finish.

Elmes missed two opportunities, while, after the decisive Doncaster score, McIndoe had almost a free header in front of goal but nodded wide, an effort which summed up Hereford's afternoon.

Hereford: Cooksey, Lane, Sturgess, Robinson, Wright, Gardiner, Clarke, Snape, Elmes, Williams, McIndoe. Subs not used: Quiggin, Baker, Giddings, Wall, Rodgerson.

Doncaster: Richardson, Stone (Hawkins 72 mins), Shaw, Kelly, Miller, Ryan, Caudwell, Penney, Turner, Whitman, McIntyre. Subs not used: Atkins, Watson, Campbell, Morris.

Attendance: 1,755.

Referee: I Williamson (Reading).