Hereford were well worth a point from this Nationwide Conference match on Saturday.

Their opponents put in one of the best displays of the season to win 2-0 at Edgar Street in the corresponding fixture, so some pride was restored in what was an entertaining goalless draw.

In fact, the Bulls were unlucky not to have gone home with more points, Matt Clarke seeing his 88th-minute effort ruled out after Hayes had struggled to clear a free-kick from Chris Lane.

The linesman raised his flag as Clarke scrambled the ball in from close range, but the winger was blissfully unaware and sprinted to the cheering Hereford faithful. In the excitement he pulled off his shirt and ended up being booked.

It was cruel luck for him and his team-mates who had perhaps done enough to have earned the three points.

Both sides had their chances to have won the game. United had perhaps the best openings in the first half, while Hayes, with the exception of Clarke's effort, came closest after the break.

After five minutes an innocuous Gavin Williams cross deceived Hayes keeper Paul Gothard and struck the upright before going over.

Then on 22 minutes Paul Fewings was unable to keep down a Mark Taylor cross, his volley just clearing the bar.

Tony James then cut inside before unleashing a fierce strike from the edge of the area but Jason Goodliffe deflected it just over for a corner.

Two minutes after that loan signing Tom White was inches wide with a header from a free-kick taken by man-of-the match Ian Rodgerson.

There was another good chance five minutes before the interval when Leroy May was put in down the left.

He rounded the Hayes keeper but just ran out of room and Gothard got back as the big striker tried in vain to keep the ball from running out after rolling across goal.

Hayes raised their game after the break and began to create opportunities, especially after United captain Ian Wright turned his ankle and hobbled off.

The best chance for the home side came on 63 minutes but Dave Stevens, through on goal, saw his shot excellently turned away by on-loan Scott Cooksey.

The United keeper then had to push over a thunderous Neil Trebble header in injury time to preserve a point.

In the end both sides looked happy with a share of the spoils.

The biggest compliment for the hard-working Bulls came from Hayes boss Terry Brown who said it had been one of the bestdisplays from a visiting team all season.

Hereford: Cooksey, Lane, James, Clarke, Wright (Sturgess 57 min), White, Rodgerson, Taylor, May (Elmes 80 min), Fewings, Williams (Parry 64 min). Subs not used: Quy, Hanson.

Hayes: Gothard, Boyce, Gallen, Watts, Bunce, Goodliffe, McKimm, Charles, Stevens, Spencer (Moore 76 min), Roddis (Trebble 87). Sub not used: Coppard.

Referee: A Wilkins (Gravesend).

Attendance: 849.