AN action packed Nationwide Conference game at Edgar Street on Saturday saw a spate of scores, including a spectacular own goal and a penalty, a sending off, seven yellow cards and Rovers' player-manager Ian Snodin being banished from the dug-out.

In the words of the showbiz song - 'that's entertainment'.

However, Hereford's disappointing early season form meant only 1,690, including just over 200 spectators from Doncaster among them, saw it.

It took just 52 seconds to trigger the pulsating action when Steve Piearce crossed for Rob Elmes to beat keeper Andy Warrington with a header for his fifth goal of the campaign.

But four minutes later the home fans were soon sunk in gloom. Yet another defensive blunder -- one of many that have plagued the Bulls this season -- enabled Doncaster to equalise when keeper Andy Quy made a hash of dealing with Kevin McIntyre's corner which flew directly into the net.

At least, when Rovers went ahead in the 29th minute it was a more authentic goal. Former Everton and Blackburn Rovers striker Mike Newell rose to power Jason Minnett's right wing cross past a helpless Quy.

Quy retired with a knee injury at half time to be replaced by Mark Jones and within four minutes of the restart the Bulls were on terms when central defender James Wall snapped up his first goal for the club by firing in a close range shot.

The sending off came in the 55th minute with McIntyre being penalised by referee Steve Castle for a second bookable offence.

Two minutes later Ian Rodgerson latched on to a pass from the outstanding Matt Clarke and was brought down by Martin Foster who was promptly booked. Mr Castle awarded a spot kick and United penalty ace Gavin Williams gave Warrington no chance to make it 3-2.

Rovers manager Ian Snodin took himself off, but it was not long before he was removed further away from the action as Mr Castle ordered him out of the dug-out after comments he had made to one of the assistant referees.

Nevertheless, Doncaster refused to throw in the towel and in the 77th minute left back Paul Sturgess put the ball into his own net with a header in which he would have exalted had it been at the other end!

The Bulls were in rampant mood, however, and they hit back to crack Doncaster's defence with more goals in the 82nd and 89th minutes. Elmes netted another header from a cross by Williams, who was again in sparkling form. Craig Hanson grabbed his first goal for the club when he rifled the ball home from close range after Ian Wright's header had hit the woodwork.

That goal boosted Hereford's league tally to 16, the league's best aggregate. But their goals against column shot up to 15.

No one was more pleased at the win than former Doncaster striker Piearce. He said: "I played 16 times alongside Rob Elmes in attack at Halesowen and we have a good understanding. I would have liked to have scored today but the fact that we won was what mattered."

Although United director of football Graham Turner still has worries about his side's defending, he said: "We look dangerous going forward this season and today the quality of the crosses was excellent."

Hereford: Quy, (Jones, 46) Clarke, Wall, Wright, Sturgess, Hanson, Taylor, Rodgerson, Elmes, Piearce, Williams. Substitutes not used: James, Snape, Lane, Cotterill.

Attendance: 1,690.