WAYNE Dyer scored the fastest ever goal by a Hereford debut-maker when he netted in the 89th-minute to seal a Football Conference victory over lowly Farnborough on Saturday.

Twenty-year-old Dyer struck within three minutes of substituting for player-coach Keith Downing, who retired with a hamstring injury.

A former Birmingham City midfielder, Dyer has been turning out for Walsall and Nuneaton on a non-contract basis this season and was signed by United director of football Graham Turner on Friday after playing in a reserve midweek match against Bromsgrove Rovers.

Turner said: ''He could have earned more money with a job and playing part time, but he is still ambitious to make his way in the game and took up our offer of a full-time contract until the end of the season.''

His goal came after Richard Leadbeater had shot the Bulls in front with a 56th-minute penalty. In fact, Leadbeater wanted to claim Dyer's goal as the newcomer's shot deflected off him before hitting the inside of an upright and then entering the net.

But Dyer was emphatic it was his goal, saying: ''Richard tried to claim it, but I would have none of it. It was a thrill to go on and score. I would have liked to have gone on earlier but I had to bide my time as the lads were playing well.''

The withdrawal of striker Mark Duce in the 40th minute with a 'dead leg' provided the opportunity for Leadbeater to put United one up.

Druce was the nominated penalty-taker, so Lead-beater opted to take on the role. His last previous attempt was a miss against Hayes in Sept-ember. This time he gave Stuart MacKenzie no chance with a low shot wide of the keeper's left hand.

It was fitting reward as Leadbeater won the penalty. He surged well into the 18-yard area before being brought down by Stuart Harte.

Leadbeater should have opened his account early in a nondescript first half when he shot wide of a gaping goal, while a few minutes later central defender Stuart Evans' header was cleared off the line by Steve Baker. Farnborough's only clear- cut chance came in the 22nd minute from Keith Rowlands, whose header was superbly saved by Mark Jones.

After the break the Bulls dominated the game. Gavin Williams missed two good chances before Leadbeater's penalty broke the deadlock, while afterwards Evans headed against the bar and Ian Rodgerson volleyed over from a good position.

The victory ended a Hereford sequence of three home matches without a win but the gate was the lowest at Edgar Street this season.

Turner said: ''It was a good start to our run of three home matches. We need to win them all to revive interest in our season.''

Hereford: Jones, Lane, Evans, Wright, James, Rodgerson, Downing (Dyer 86 mins), Taylor, Druce (Cook 40 mins) Leadbeater, Williams. Sub not used: Cross.