RICHARD Leadbeater's fourth goal in three games clinched Hereford's third Vauxhall Conference double as they twice came from behind to pip lowly Kettering.

Having been ineligible for Hereford's previous two cup matches, the 21- year-old striker on a month's loan from Wolves followed up the hat-trick he bagged at Kidderminster on New Year's Day with an 84th- minute winner. It resulted from a precisely executed right- wing move. Jamie Pitman slipped a forward pass to substitute Ian Rodgerson, making his 150th appearance for the Bulls. Rodgerson played a neat one-two with Leadbeater who fired an eight-yard drive past keeper Chris Taylor.

Leadbeater said: ''So far it's been a dream, scoring four in three games after being in Wolves' reserves for three years.'' And United director of football Graham Turner said: ''It will do him more good than playing in the Pontins League. He is with us until Saturday and I will be talking to Wolves later in the week to see whether he will be involved after that.''

Three minutes before Leadbeater decided the issue, skipper Brian McGorry was sent off by Wolverhampton referee Steve Castle for a second bookable offence. On the second occasion McGorry seemed to challenge for the ball and make contact with his foot at the same height as Craig Norman. The Poppies player limped off after treatment and then immediately returned to the fray.

At half-time Kettering led 1-0 and they looked set to avenge the 2-1 home defeat they suffered at United's hands in September. The Bulls virtually sleepwalked their way through the first half when they were outpaced and outcompeted by Kettering. A mistake by Chris Hargreaves in the 14th minute gave possession to Norman who beat Andy Quy with a superb 25- yard curling drive. Five minutes after the break Colin Vowden turned an inswinging corner from Murray Fishlock into his own net to make it 1-1. Two minutes later, however, Chris Pearson regained the Poppies' lead, rounding Quy to score from a narrow angle.

Hereford have been much more effective in exploiting corners recently and it was from a 73rd- minute flag-kick, taken by McGorry, that John Brough headed in an equaliser. Rodgerson, watching the first period from the bench, said: ''It looked as if we hadn't got the FA Cup defeat by Tranmere out of our system.'' And Turner conceded: ''In the first half we were as flat as a pancake.'' Second-half substitutes Tony Agana and Rodg-erson helped brighten up United's play and Turner commented: ''Both had knocks and had not trained since Tuesday. If I had started with them, I don't think they would have been able to play a full game and also again at Stevenage on Monday.''

Hereford: Quy, Warner (Rodgerson 71 mins), Brough, Walker, Fishlock, Pitman, McGorry, Mahon, Hargreaves (Agana 65 mins), Grayson, Leadbeater. Subs not used: McCue.

Attendance: 2,310.