A BUS driver's evidence was key in bringing the case of a Hereford man caught out after his tyre "exploded" to court, magistrates have heard.

Benjamin Callow admitted one count of drink-driving when he appeared before magistrates in Hereford in January.

A bus driver had spotted Callow in a damaged silver Rover 25 "with barely any tyre left" on a passenger side wheel at 1pm on November 18, prosecutor Eleanor Peart said.

Police were called and found Callow, who seemed "dazed", with empty cans of beer in the car.

He told officers that he had not had anything to drink in the past 15 to 20 minutes, but that he had drunk a beer before driving.

Chris Read, for Callow, said that the 34-year-old had driven the car to town and bought alcohol before heading back to a friend's house in Credenhill. 

But, during the course of this journey, one of his tyres "exploded", leaving the car "virtually undrivable".

"He parked in a layby, which is where he was seen by the bus driver at 1.10pm," Mr Read said.


"He says he realised that the car was not drivable and contacted friends to ask them to help him. While he was waiting, he drank alcohol. He says he also drank a can before driving, but the vast majority of alcohol in his system came from drinking between parking and police coming." 

But, the court heard, the bus driver had passed Callow for a second time on his return journey, and noted that his car had moved 50 metres from its original position. 

Mr Read said Callow, who is a support worker for a local charity, did not remember moving the car, but that this was the reason why he was in court.

Callow, who is of Barrie Road in Hereford, was fined £361 and disqualified from driving for 36 months. 

He was also ordered to pay prosecution costs of £135 and a £144 victim surcharge.

Want to stay up to date with all the latest Herefordshire court and crime news? Click here to join our Hereford Times Court and Crime group on Facebook or click here to sign up for our weekly court and crime email newsletter.