A CARE home near Hereford is closing its doors with all residents given just eight weeks to find and move to alternative accommodation.

Families of those living at Hampton House Residential Care Home were told at the beginning of August about plans to close within two months, leaving them "shocked".

The home, for up to 34 people, was rated as good by the Care Quality Commission, but owners Herefordshire Old People's Housing Society said falling numbers of residents left them with little choice.

It said it was with "great sadness" that the home in Hampton Bishop would aim to close for good on Friday, September 24.

A society spokesperson said it had to make this decision due to the low level of occupancy after the Covid pandemic and the fixed costs meant it was not sustainable to stay open.

They added it could see "no prospect of the position changing".

"The Board of HOPHS are under strict duties as charity trustees, as well as directors of the corporation, to protect the interests of all stakeholders at this time and have therefore made the difficult decision to look at closure of the home as being in the best interests of all concerned," the spokesperson said.

"The board’s focus has been in finding new accommodation for all residents and this has been achieved."

Susan Hutchings, whose mother lived at the care home for nine months before learning of the news, said it was "great shame" as it was a "lovely home",

Mrs Hutchings, from Essex, said it was not easy to find alternative accommodation, but they had been successful in their search.

She praised the care home's staff and said her mother had been "extremely happy", but was "very distressed" when she had to move.

Twelve members of 5 Rifles were sent to help West Mercia Police with transportation of people from Hampton House residential care home if evacuation was required during Storm Dennis in February 2020.

Troops worked from Sulva Barracks reserves centre Hereford when the storm brought more than a month of rainfall in 24 hours and hit the county with severe flodding.

In Hereford water levels reached more than two metres in some areas which caused issues with emergency services access.

West Mercia Police co-ordinated help across the area, with one element seeing Army troops on standby to help evacuate members of the care home if needed.