VISITORS to a popular beauty spot in south Shropshire are being warned not to light fires, use cooking stoves or barbecues over fears of a devastating wildfire.

The National Trust team at Carding Milly Valley and the Long Mynd in Church Stretton warned visitors after a fire in the open on Wednesday (July 21).

Fire crews and police were called to the beauty spot shortly after 7pm to put out a fire.

Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service sent one crew from Church Stretton to the scene.

It said there was a small bonfire around two metres square which was put out by using buckets of water from the nearby stream.

Afterwards, the National Trust said: "Please do not bring any cooking stoves, BBQ, fire pits or other naked flames to Carding Mill Valley and the Long Mynd.

"It only takes a single spark to start a devastating wild fire.

"Thank you for helping to protect this special place."