Is it any wonder that people are suffering depression and other mental health problems when the majority of the media seems to focus only on the worst outcomes?

We are not stupid out here in the real world – we realise Covid is ‘bad news’ – but do try to lift our spirits.

At least the Hereford Times tries to have something uplifting on the front page.

In the main media headlines most days these words appear: failed, inadequate, struggling, damaged, criticise, warning...

Even percentages are used to give the worst possible impression – 10 per cent is greeted as complete ‘failure’ when I presume the remaining 90 per cent is positive.

Since when has a 25 per cent bad outcome been more important than the remaining 75 per cent good result?

What do other readers feel? Are we really ‘all doomed’?

Penny Platts

Let us know what you think. Send your comments to