It is 70 years since the Royal Three Counties Show was held in Leominster.

And a short film in the British Film Institute (BFI) archive reveals how much it, and the town itself has changed over the years.

The Royal Three Counties Show, run by the Three Counties Agricultural Society, has been part of the region’s heritage for more than 200 years.


The farming, food and countryside show of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire is one of the largest events of its kind in the country.

It was first held in 1797 with a gathering of farmers in Broad Street, Hereford.

There were initially three independent show societies, but they united in 1922.

The show toured different locations, rotating each year to be the ‘host’ county, a tradition that continues to this day.

It was Leominster's turn in 1950, and although the BFI film concentrates on the show itself, there are also tantalising glimpses of life in Leominster.

One scene shows a policeman directing traffic so light it would barely merit the description today!

The town's streets are decorated to welcome visitors from around the world, and there are glimpses of the Clifton Cinema with its flags and bunting.

The show moved to its permanent home in Malvern in 1958, and it has remained a favourite with the Royal Family ever since.

It was was awarded its royal title in 2013, the Princess Royal became patron the same year.

The British Film Institute is a film and television charity that promotes and preserves filmmaking and television.