POLICE have called off the search for a woman swept into floodwaters near Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire.

Chief Superintendent Tom Harding of West Mercia Police, on behalf of the multi-agency flood response, released this statement:

“A search and rescue operation was carried out throughout the day yesterday (Sunday, February 16) to rescue a woman who was swept into floodwater near Tenbury.

RELATED NEWS: Live updates on flooding in Herefordshire

“Last night for safety reasons and with a heavy heart, the rescue operation was called off.

"It was not a decision that any of the emergency services took lightly, but fire and rescue colleagues who were coordinating the operation took the decision as conditions became extremely challenging due to darkness and fast flowing floodwater.

“The search has continued this morning, including the use of the police helicopter.

"Sadly, however, due to the circumstances of the length of time in the water and other conditions we believe that this will now be a recovery rather than rescue operation.

"Her family have been informed and are being supported by specially trained officers.

“A man was recovered from the water as a result of the same incident, and was airlifted to hospital where he currently remains in a stable condition.”

West Midlands Ambulance Service emergency services colleagues in Worcestershire yesterday.

"We were called by the police to reports of two people in the river near Eastham Bridge, Tenbury Wells at 11.36 yesterday (Sunday)," a spokerson said.

"The Trust deployed an ambulance, a paramedic officers, Hazardous Area Response Team paramedics specially trained for water rescue, the Midlands Air Ambulance from Strensham with a MERIT trauma doctor on board and a critical care car to the scene.

“One man was safely rescued from the water and received emergency treatment by ambulance staff on scene before being airlifted to Worcestershire Royal Hospital for further care. He is said to be in a stable condition today.

“A joint search and rescue operation, coordinated by fire service colleagues, was carried out throughout yesterday to locate a woman.

"However the difficult decision was taken to call off efforts due to safety reasons later in the day. Ambulance resources were stood down from the scene at 4.00pm."