A FIRST World War remembrance project in Herefordshire has opened a further commemorative walk in honour of a soldier who did not return from the fields of battle.

Inspired by a letter written by a Herefordshire Regiment soldier serving in Egypt more than a century ago, the Eardisland Memorial Walks project commemorates the 13 fallen soldiers whose names are inscribed on Eardisland's War Memorial.

The project has created 13 circular walks in Eardisland and surrounding parishes, each named after one of the village's fallen sons, with the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund and Herefordshire Community Foundation.

Last week a new milestone was met with the opening of a new gate and walk dedicated Private John Charles Morgan.

The only son of John and Mary Morgan of Shirlheath Farm, Kingsland, Pte Morgan was educated at Eardisland school before going to work on his father's farm.

When war broke out in Europe, Pte Morgan enlisted with the Montgomeryshire regiment, but was later transferred to B Company, 4th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

A pioneer unit, B Company was positioned in the Ypres Salient on the western front, where Pte Morgan's daily tasks would have involved the digging of trenches, maintaining defences and relaying roads.

He was killed by shellfire whilst out carrying out those essential duties with a working party during the Third Battle of Ypres.

Pte Morgan was just 26 years old when he died on August 26 1917.

The seven and a half mile long circular walk was officially opened by Major Allan Harrhy who unveiled a brass plaque donated to the project by the Royal Welsh Fusiliers Association, symbolising the bond which exists in British Army regiments across the decades.

Guides for all 13 walks cost 50p and are available from Rita's Tearooms and Eardisland Community Shop in Eardisland.

For more information about the project and the walks, visit http://www.eardislandmemorialwalks.org.uk/