FIRE crews from Ross-on-Wye were called to a house fire this morning caused by a tumble dryer.

Two fire engines and one ambulance attended the scene at Verschoyle Gardens just after 1am.

A fire alarm woke the family sleeping inside the house who safely left the building and called for help.

Paramedics treated a man and a woman outside the building for smoke inhalation but neither required hospital treatment.

A spokeswoman from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said: "We strongly urge everyone to have smoke alarms fitted in their house, at least one per floor, but ideally more and to test these weekly to check the battery, and replace the alarm every 10 years."